"" Rob Parnell's Writing Academy Blog: How To Become an Independent Author Using the Web, Kindle and Social Marketing

Thursday, August 1, 2013

How To Become an Independent Author Using the Web, Kindle and Social Marketing

News, Views & Clues... to Writing Success
 
 
Dear Fellow Writer,

They say you shouldn't look back. Living in the past prevents you from grasping the future and enjoying its possibilities.

Dwelling on past events, mistakes and memories, even the good ones, is usually a sign that you're not fulfilling your potential.

But this last week it occurred to me that 12 years ago I had a completely different outlook on life. One that was largely shaped by the publishing industry.

A lifetime of trying to get published had made me feel crushed, inferior and like I was somehow wasting my time...

In 2001, I had a literary agent who told me that my fiction wasn't commercial and that seriously, Rob, who needs another writer's self help book? I got rid of that agent as soon as the contract expired!

Since then I've sold over a million books, ebooks and courses. 

A million! That could have made some publisher and agent very rich, could have bought them houses and sent their kids through college.

But as it happened I chose to ignore dumb criticism and go my own way - and instead of being oppressed by publishers that wouldn't know talent if it mugged them in a dark alley, I'm an independent author! And very happy about that too!

Sometimes it's good to look back - just to see how far you've come!

Keep Writing!

Rob@easywaytowrite.com
Your Success is My Concern
http://easywaytowrite.com

Independent Authoring

THIS WEEK'S ARTICLE:

How To Become an Independent Author Using the Web, Kindle and Social Marketing


Rob Parnell
 
Self publishing has a stigma attached to it - one that is often completely undeserved. Especially these days, when self published online authors are laughing all the way to the bank!

In the last decade I've sold over one million books, ebooks and courses as an online independent author.

I have no need of publishers, nor agents, nor PR companies nor media consultants.

I've built a virtual empire based on one simple rule: write every day.

That's the writer's dream, isn't it?

Since 2001 I've seen all kinds of writers come and go. I've seen all manner of Internet fads rise and fall. I've out-survived a thousand so called gurus and bestselling writers - and those who jump on the latest bandwagons to success, only to disappear a few months later.

My guess is they all lack one essential quality: persistence.

And,
if you lack persistence, what you really lack is self belief.

Writing is no quick way to get rich. But don't get me wrong, writing for a living is a very lucrative and liberating way to spend your days.

You just have to stick with it - and over the long haul, when your name becomes more important than your writing, you've got it made!

The mistake most would be successful writers make is to look at the short term - and give up, usually just before momentum kicks in.

As Tony Robbins once said, you often never realize just how close you are to your dream.

The beauty of the Internet is that career writers don't have to rely on the traditional publishing industry anymore.

Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Smashwords and all the marvelous new avenues for social marketing - which didn't exist when I started out - have taken the lottery out of writing success - and placed it firmly in the hands of those who write - and want to keep writing for a living.

But do you feel intimidated by the new world order for writers?

If so then you clearly need to take my courses - which have always been designed to help you find the easiest and most doable routes to writing success.

My latest course, Write To The Top, is a case in point.

If you've ever wondered how to pull social marketing and self publishing together into one cohesive strategy for success, then I've got you covered. Even if you just want to write fiction.

No longer do you have to wait on the whims of a publishing industry that doesn't really care about you and your writing anymore - if it ever did.

Now you can take control - and become the successful independent author you were always meant to be.

And who better to trust than a guy with more experience than a hundred other writing 'gurus'. A nice guy who's just happened to have sold more books, ebooks and courses - even movies and songs - than most people ever dream could happen to them...

I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here - okay, maybe a little - but I'm really just trying to make a point...

If there ever was a secret to success, it's helping other people.

And that's what I've tried to do over the last decade plus.

In my courses, I give you the best advice and guidance I can muster.

In my fiction and films and songs, I do all in my power to entertain.

In my blogs and articles - of which I have thousands - I keep you at the forefront of my mind.

And in my latest writing course, the one that will catapult your books into bestsellerdom, I want nothing more than your success.

Go here for more info.

Keep Writing!
 rob at home

No comments:

The Writing Academy

Welcome to the official blog of Rob Parnell's Writing Academy, updated weekly - sometimes more often!