"" Rob Parnell's Writing Academy Blog: Call for Submissions

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Call for Submissions

Sometimes I wish there were clones of me. Then I could get everything done. One clone to write my novels. One clone to publish everyone's books. Another to submit short stories and screenplays. Another to do the housework and the gardening. And another to be a family man, focusing on looking after children instead of trying to be a creative dynamo.

But then I think, what if the clones decided they wanted to be real me? What if they started fighting, warring over my personality. What if one decided to kill all the others?

There I go again. Starting with an idea that becomes the germ of a story.

Because probably what would happen would be that the extra clones would simply come up with more ideas, more ways to fill my time - and then each clone would need his own team of clones and pretty soon, I'd have an army of Robs to contend with.

They'd all need feeding and would have to pay their way. And what would Robyn think? Which would be the real me - and how could she tell...

Apologies for opening crazy.

You might guess this has been a busy week.

Tuesday I launched Magellan Books.

By Friday I had over one hundred and thirty submissions. It's no wonder publishers say they're inundated with manuscripts.

So first of all I'd like to apologize to you in advance if you're thinking about submitting your manuscript to me. I'm intending to publish everyone. It just might take a little longer than I'd originally planned.

Don't hold back though - send me your manuscripts anyway. I'll get to you. And if things get busy we might need to get more staff. That's my problem to resolve. Not yours!

I'm very happy that Magellan has clearly struck a chord with writers all over the world. And I'm grateful for the chance to help so many of you.

If you haven't already, take a look at Magellan Books guidelines - and I'm sure we'll speak soon.

Thank you so much for your support.

I appreciate it.

Keep writing!

No comments:

The Writing Academy

Welcome to the official blog of Rob Parnell's Writing Academy, updated weekly - sometimes more often!