"" Rob Parnell's Writing Academy Blog: It's Time for A New Start

Thursday, August 24, 2023

It's Time for A New Start

 

So, this week I thought we'd try something new. I want to bring back my weekly Friday newsletter. Whether I do or not is really up to you!

Tell me what you think.

Welcome to The Thoughts of Chairman Rob

(Or some such title, I haven’t decided yet.)

Yes, I want to talk to you - again - on a weekly basis about writing, creativity, inspiration, and motivation. Plus I want to fill you in on what’s happening in the writing world and what I think about the issues facing us. Plus, you know, we can metaphorically shoot the breeze about life, the universe, and writing from my perspective.

Just to let you know, my writing web presence is now over twenty years young. And apart from running the Academy full-time from my little piece of antipodean paradise in the Land of Oz with my beloved Robyn, I’m still writing. New courses, books, novels, and short stories - generally being creative in words, music, and film.  

Now, I know it may be hard to believe, but not everyone was a fan of my newsletters. Indeed I stopped writing them for a while because people unsubscribed when I put them out. Which made me sad because I always loved talking to you, keeping in touch and sharing the love we feel for writing. For a while I kept quiet and thought perhaps you preferred not to be interrupted by my musings.

But I’ve moved on. Times have changed. The world is a whole new place since Covid. We’re a more insular species, money is tighter and we need our creativity to help us out. Now is the time I want to feel more connected to you, my dear subscriber, and to help you personally on your journey towards writing success.

I still get a lot of private emails asking for advice and guidance on many writing issues and, to be honest, I would like to share some of that help around to others who may be too timid or simply too busy to ask me for themselves.

Fact is, if I start to annoy you, you can always unsubscribe from my emails and still enjoy the now over fifty courses on offer on your Writing Academy dashboard.

Also, people ask me about the future too. 

* How can we make money writing these days? 

* Is writing still a valid career choice? 

* Is getting traditionally published still important? 

* How can we compete in a world dominated by self-publishing online? 

* How will copyright and ownership of our words work going forward? 

* Where can we get free inspiration, guidance and assistance? 

* Plus of course, how will Artificial Intelligence effect the future of writing?

I want to be able to answer your questions on these issues and many more of your questions pertaining to fiction writing: characterization, plotting, dialog, scene crafting, and other issues like inspiration, motivation, technique, style, and perseverance.

Over the coming weeks and months I want to speak with you about the Writing Academy so that we can work together to help each other.

Let me know what you think and help me shape this Friday newsletter. I appreciate your help. Let’s make this newsletter a special weekly event!

As always, I'm here to help.

Keep Writing!

Rob

Rob Parnell’s Writing Academy

No comments:

The Writing Academy

Welcome to the official blog of Rob Parnell's Writing Academy, updated weekly - sometimes more often!